I've discovered this one true fact.
Here's how I taught the lessons of integers. It took a few days to complete the four operations, BUT we not only had fun, we learned our rules and can now look back at them any time we need to!
- 4 different bright colors of Post-Its
- Math Journal
**Before class, I had pre-written on each post-it to save time, but you can also have students write on their own during class too.
- Write one operational symbol on each color of Post-It. (i.e. + on pink, - on yellow, etc)
- Have them grouped ready to be passed out following the warm-up so that each student recieves four Post-Its.
- Students will place ALL FOUR Post-Its on ONE page as shown:
- Have students trace around each Post-It to give a defined space when removing each note to write the integer rules underneath.
- Add appropriate rules under each note and complete examples on following pages.
- Once all Post-Its are complete, have a page dedicated to "Mixed Review" as most students get confused between (- 3)(- 4) and (- 3) - 4
Happy integer note-taking! :)