CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Area & Perimeter {Math Lab on Rectangles}

In addition to teaching middle school math, I am also teaching high school Geometry this year. I hated Geometry when I was in school, but now I like it almost as much as Algebra. So when we cover geometric concepts at the sixth and seventh grade level, I try to make it fun, interesting and challenging. I think this is one of my favorite labs, and I know it's one of the student's as well.

Area & Perimeter: Rectangles



Time Needed:
1 class period (60 - 90 minutes in length)

Materials:

  • Bright DuctTape
  • Rulers
  • Scissors
  • Area & Perimeter Math Lab

Directions:
  1. BEFORE class starts, tape four rectangles on your classroom floor in different duct tape colors. Measure these in both customary (inches) and metric (centimeters)
  2. Students should be very familiar with how to find area by now, so notes should not take long. I reinforce the importance of using a formula to help set the stage for Pre-Algebra.
  3. Place students in four groups and pass out the math lab packet.
  4. Watch the discovery begin!
Here's a few pictures of my students in action during this lab:



Area and Perimeter Math Lab:

No comments:

Post a Comment