CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Freedom

I thought I'd let you "peek in" to my teaching hiatus. I love my job. I love my school. It took me a while to find my niche, but I am glad that God lead me to Legacy, because I have an amazing administrative team that gives me the freedom to teach with creativity and I know that they have confidence in my teaching ability.
My classroom from the front (in doorway)

If you're new to teaching, or to my blog, you've probably questioned the "how" or said something like "yeah, that works for you, but it would never work for me." It may seem like a lot of play, but trust me, my kids know their material.

My school is unique in that it's a UMS school (University Model School). I teach Monday, Wednesday and Friday - my math class is 90 minutes long, and I have the privilege of partnering with the parents in educating their kids. I believe education works better when family is involved.

I questioned the "logistics" of this type of school when I started teaching there five years ago. I've taught 5th through 10th grade level math and I can say that the kids learn. My current 6th graders take 7th grade level math and I also have 7th graders in there too! that's what's so awesome - no "boxes to fit into!" Last year, my 5th graders scored in the 98th percentile on the national SAT test - so I know they learned through the year.
Classroom from the back - (I teach science too)

I have found in my 8 years of teaching (oh my gosh, has it been that long already!!!)  that my students have learned best when I make math more than worksheets, formulas, and rote practice. Make it so they are involved. Which is why I teach to inspire ;) I hope you enjoy my posts and find a use in your classroom.



Sponsor Mahtnspire.net -->

And I love comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment